So, our achievements.
For a high-performance battle with oncological diseases it is necessary to solve two fundamental problems:
To increase treatment efficiency to the level close to 100% in all stages of the disease (medical approbation is getting ready)
To make proton installations applicable for mass production and usage.
Today’s development of proton therapy goes in a wrong direction since it does not solve any of these problems.
Maximum possible treatment efficiency is unreachable because the dose exceeding on the tumor compared with the dose on healthy tissue is insufficiently high.
The price for installations for proton therapy is unaffordably high for majority of clinics and cannot be the basis for mass production and treatment.
Meanwhile, the latest development of Gamma-therapy (IMRT, Gamma- Knife, Cyber- Knife e t.c) approximated the treatment efficiency to the results of modern proton therapy. But, the results in both cases are still far from 100%.
And only the usage of our new technology gives us the possibility to solve these two global problems listed above.
The medical advantages of the project:
1. The treatment efficiency will be better due to the larger irradiation dose of the tumor compared with the existing large and expensive proton installations.
2. The irradiation of multiple tumors (metastasis) is possible.
3. The irradiation is carrying out from many directions which together with the optimization of the dose distribution (Optimized IMPT) gives opportunity to get a limit high relation of the dose in the tumor to the dose in healthy tissue.
4. Reducing treatment duration to several days (hypo fractionation) and the new system of quick immobilization of a patient allows getting higher productivity of our installation with a single treatment room then existing huge proton facilities with multiple treatment rooms and is close to efficiency of four electron accelerators.
5. ''Adaptive treatment’’ is easily possible.
6. There is a possibility of irradiation of internal organs which move during irradiation. The movement of internal organs during the respiration in vertical position of a patient is less than in horizontal position.
The technical and economical advantages of the project:
1. This installation is much less expensive than the present ones. Its cost is comparable with the cost of equipment based on the electron accelerators.
2. No need to produce the individual patient-specific devices for the beam collimating and retarding, such as collimators, compensators and so on.
3. No need to have a repository for collimators, which becomes radioactive after use.
4. The irradiation process is maximum-automated due to the built-in computer tomograph.
5. The installation is compact and economic. Bunker is slightly bigger than that for electron accelerators.
6. Minimum of the necessary operating staff. (One technical person per shift)
7. The maximum proton beam energy (330 MeV) allows developing the proton tomography at this installation in the future.
So, conception of the project:
1. The installation can be mounted in a small-scale clinic.
2. The large oncological center should contain several these installations with the same number of technical staff.
3. Among several installations (5-10 units) one should contain 1 – 2 gantries (for children treatment).
4. Among several installations (5 -10 units) one should be of the Carbon-type for the treatment of the radio-resistant tumors.